Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

What makes us stay in a bad relationship?

I've been asking myself this for many years. I know I'm not the only person to have been in an unhappy, unhealthy relationship. Not only was I unhappy, my girlfriend was unhappy. We were mutually unhappy. Neither getting whatever it was we each wanted.
Despite that being the case, I know we had some great times. But great times do not mean people should be together.
We were highly compatible. We could spend hours and days together and talk and even shared some common interests. But that isn't a good reason either.
So what is the reason to be together? Why do we stay in dysfunctional and unhappy situations?
I thought it was fear. I thought "who else would want to be with me?" Well, I have found many a woman that wants to be with me. I know it's not that.
I thought is was apathy. Maybe. Maybe we just don't care enough to let the dissatisfaction override our logic. After all, maybe the person in question is fine, for the most part.
I've never been looking for "the ONE," this elusive concept sold to everyone for so long. I've never been looking for "the ONE" and maybe that's why I haven't found her yet.
I have met so many women that are in relationships and yet, they are looking and available. I think they believe in true love or this mythical one individual who will save them.
But somewhere, someone is tired of someone else. And that someone else is someone we're interested in. For a little while anyway.
So why is it so hard to leave a bad relationship? I think it's just that it's too much work. We are complacent. Relationships take effort. Why not ignore the one you're in???

No comments:

Post a Comment