Search This Blog

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Mid-life crisis or just a late bloomer

I read an article that outlined the symptoms of a mid-life crisis. Interestingly, it only takes one position. I have another.
Some men, like myself, start early in life and focus on work or career. I didn't have a relationship with a woman until very late in my twenties. I never partied, I never did crazy things because I always felt I had to stay in control, be responsible. I don't think I missed out at all. I do think that I lacked the confidence and the head space to enjoy myself.
"It's not until we lose everything that we are free to do anything." - one of the many great lines from "Fight Club". (yes, I know the periods are in different places with respect to the quotations.)
I am now, at 40, more confident in myself and ready to take on experimentation and trial. I can let loose finally. I'm not struggling with who I am or who I am not. I just am. I've always have a little sports car, that's nothing new. I've always dressed well and youthful, that's nothing new. So, I say, mid-life crisis doesn't apply to all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment